Monday, June 9, 2008

Week 2, Day 1

Well, I braved the heat. I would have gone sooner, had I known that it was actually about 20 degrees cooler outside than it was in my apartment. Boo for no air conditioning.

By the time I did end up going, the skies had gotten ominously overcast. I made it one song into my run when it started raining and I could hear thunder in the distance. The rain actually felt pretty good, but I didn't really want to get hit by lightning. So I altered my route a little.


View Larger Map

That's right, I ran up and down my block 6 times. Definitely not as fun as running around by the lake, but it more or less ensured that I didn't get caught in thunder for more than 1:30. I did manage to finish the whole run without further weather incident, although it sounds like the rain has since started to come down pretty hard and the thunder is getting louder. Good timing, I suppose.

Running for 90 seconds was noticeably different than running for 60. My body could definitely feel when it had been 60 seconds and requested to please stop running. But I told it who was boss. I'm hoping that by the end of the week 90 seconds will feel as easy as 60 did at the end of last week.

This playlist was a little easier to make than last weeks' - there are a lot more songs in the 90-120 second range than the 60-90. The walking songs are in navy, the running ones are in aqua.

  • *Bafferton Village / Walsh's Hornpipe // The Bells of Dublin - The Chieftans (1:24)
  • *I'm Walkin' / Rock N' Roll Era : 1957 - Fats Domino (2:11)
  • *Pastime with Good Company (King Henry VII) / Pastyme with Good Companye - Flying V (1:36)
  • *Ebudae / Paint the Sky with Stars - Enya (1:53)
  • The Flight of the Bumblebee (Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov) / Greatest Hits - Philadelphia Orchestra (1:26)
  • *One by One (Lebo M) / Lion King the Musical - Original Cast (1:54)
  • Hound Dog / Grease Soundtrack - Sha-Na-Na (1:25)
  • Eleanor Rigby / Revolver - The Beatles (2:08)
  • TROGDOR / Strongbad Sings and Other Type Hits - Strongbad (1:40)
  • *Tonks Hunts a Leprechaun - Erin Grady (2:08)
  • *Kevin Puts - Canyon for Solo Marimba 1. Toccata / Ritual Protocol - Makoto Nakura (1:23)
  • *Kpanlongo / Spring 2007 Concert - Case Concert Choir (2:06)
  • *The Luckiest / Rockin' the Suburbs - Ben Folds (4:45)
For a total of 25.8 minutes.

3 comments:

chopinois said...

Yeah, that's the way it goes each time you increase the amount of time you run. It's always hard. The good news is that once you're running for longer you can add longer segments on each time.

Anonymous said...

When you say "once you're running for longer you can add longer segments" did you mean I can increase my times exponentially? All those "longer"'s have me confused :)

Megan said...

I started off barely being able to run for 2 minutes four weeks ago, and I increased my time in 30-60 second increments until I reached 6 minutes. Then I was able to do 8 minutes, and then 10, without even feeling like I was going to die. So hang in there, it will get easier really quickly, and you'll eventually be able to add more time at once :-).