Saturday, June 7, 2008

Week 1, Day 3 + Rest Day

I actually went out on Thursday for this session, but I haven't had a chance to blog about it until now. Yesterday and today were exceptionally busy - Thursday I did some tutoring in the morning, went running, took a class in the afternoon, and worked at night, never with more than half an hour down-time in the middle. Friday I went to school to help conduct an interview for my advisor's replacement, taught my last class to my preschool kiddies, and went to work, again with very few breaks. I just got home about 5 minutes ago. Phew!

This trend should continue for much of the weekend, too: working a morning/afternoon shift and then going to a party to celebrate the upcoming marriage of two of my friends (the ceremony is in Utah, so they're holding a local party for those who can't make it). Sunday I am conducting the church choir in the morning and working at night. I thought this was called vacation?

On the other hand, I feel really good about being active this summer, both physically and, erm, temporally. I don't feel like I'm overdoing it to the point of stress, but I do feel like I am actively involved in each day. As long as I get some time to myself eventually, it'll all be good.

Anyway, the run. This was a good one. One of my fears came true and I was spotted by someone I know (Nick, who is a fellow server at my restaurant). He drove by me in his car while I was running. Turns out he didn't think me pathetic at all, but rather it initiated a conversation in which I found out that he likes to run on the same path, and does something similar to my plan where he runs and walks in intervals! Now, instead of fearing being "discovered," I'm kind of hoping we'll run into each other on the path one day.

My first "best of" playlist worked really well. Jazzerpat knows what she's doing :)

The walking songs are in navy, the running ones are in aqua. Only a few were new - those ones are marked with an asterisk. The new ones mostly worked well, although I still can't quite bring myself to enjoy Schubert lieder.
  • Wild Honey Pie / The White Album - The Beatles (1:01)
  • Eliza / A Picture of Nectar - Phish (1:32)
  • For the Mouse is a Creature of Great Personal Valour / Rejoice in the Lamb (Benjamin Britten) - My Conducting Recital, Sarah Allen, soloist (1:01)
  • Cigarette / Whatever and Ever Amen - Ben Folds Five (1:38)
  • I Think I Have a Chance with this Guy / Strongbad Sings and Other Type Hits - What's Her Face (0:56)
  • Bookends / Greatest Hits - Simon & Garfunkel (1:21)
  • Mr. Club / The New Romance - Pretty Girls Make Graves (0:48)
  • St. Andrew (This Battle Is in the Air) / Icky Thump - The White Stripes (1:50)
  • Flight of the Bumblebee from Tsar Saltan (Rimsky-Korsakov) / Live in Osaka - Eastman Wing Ensemble (1:12)
  • Sweet Sweet / Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins (1:39)
  • Introduction / Punch While Rap - Ill Mitch (1:06)
  • *Bums Interluding / Punch While Rap - Ill Mitch (1:40)
  • Over Hill, Over Dale (Vaughan Williams) (no clue who sings this, it was on a practice CD) (1:08)
  • *Fugue for Tinhorns - Guys & Dolls Soundtrack
  • They're Red Hot / Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers (1:12)
  • *Lachen und Weinen / Schubert Lieder - Judith Raskin (1:38)
  • Royal March from "l'Histoire du Soldat" / Make a Jazz Noise Here - Frank Zappa (0:59)
  • *Chichester Psalms - Movements i & ii - Leonard Bernstein (9:11)

No comments: