Monday, June 21, 2010

All Tonks' Children Got Shoes

After a brief hiatus to buy new running shoes, HOLY CRAP SHOES MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD.

After two attempts at week 1, having to give up both times, I tried it again tonight with these new babies:



And, yes. Holy cow. I thought I was in the worse shape of my life the other two times I'd run. But tonight, not only did I blow through the Week 1 workout, I ran for an additional 3 straight minutes at the end.

Boo ya.

I re-used this playlist for the third time. It was still good, and this time I actually got to run to the Chip n' Dale theme song, which was exciting and kind of MacGyver-esque.

TJ came with me on the run, which was fun. He runs way faster than I do, his stride being about 50% longer than mine, but he doubles back for the walking part. The weather was gorgeous -- about 67 degrees by the time we went at 8pm. It was the solstice today, so we had just enough daylight for our 40-minute escapade.

We'll be graduating to Week 2 for our next workout. AND I now have enough confidence to enter the mile run for field day at school on Wednesday. I'll probably finish last. Oh, well.

3 comments:

Erin said...

It's so weird! John and I recently started to run again, too. And by again I mean...I haven't run since 2006. We go to the track down at the High School (cushy track means no shin splints for me) and first alternated walking/running laps, and got through a mile our first week. Our plan is to run 5 nights a week, running 5 miles and walking 5 miles this next week until it becomes more comfortable. We're also training for a 5K, which is crazy to me because in college one day I just got up and ran one with no issues and no training. Oh what a few years will do to ya. Good luck! And you'll have to tell me which 5K you're registering for, maybe we can do the same one!

Erin Milne said...

I just searched for 5k's around when I'm projected to be ready, and THE YANKEE CANDLE FACTORY SPONSORS ONE!

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/racefinderdetail/1,,s6-239-283-284-0-0-0-0-1911310,00.html

Have you ever been there? It's amazing. And this is on a Saturday in the middle of August.

Quick How said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful Article