Sunday, July 11, 2010

Week 2: Runs 3 & 4

So I've run a few more times, but haven't blogged it because I've been ON VACATION! Woo! TJ and I went to Boston, MA -- I'd been several times, but he'd never gone, so we did all kinds of fun tourist-y things like the Duck Boat Tour (not the one that was run over by a barge, thank God), and we even camped out on the Cambridge side of the Charles River for 6 hours on the Fourth of July to watch the most amazing fireworks display I've ever seen.

Anyway, Run 2:3 was the day before we left (Tuesday). TJ is taking a college course that doesn't get out until 8pm, so I dropped him off at 5, visited with my Dad, who lives close-ish to the college, and then picked TJ up to go running. It was too late at night to drive 40 minutes back to our normal running trail, so we went to Taconic High School to run on the track. It was kind of nice running on the track - there were a lot of people there of all kinds of fitness levels. And since we were going around in circles, TJ didn't feel the need to try to stay with me, so he could go at his own pace without having to turn around. It definitely felt better on my legs, but there's something I like about running in a more natural setting.

We had fully intended to run while we were in Boston. It's a great city for doing things like that, and we both brought enough running gear to take up silly amounts of room in our suitcases. We weren't counting on a heatwave - it was over 95 every day, with enough humidity that there was a rainbow without any rain. Which was gorgeous. But we didn't really feel that running in extreme weather when we weren't sure of our surroundings was the best idea.

So instead of moving right on to Week 3 upon resuming today, I did week 2 once more. Today we decided to go to the gym that I am a member of, and, let me tell you, I kind of enjoyed the experience. Air conditioning! And I think the fact that the treadmill is moving is helping me lengthen my stride, which is something I need to work on. I ran with no leg pain at all. Watching the TV while running was also fun. I switched back and forth between SportsCenter (which featured The Winking Lizard, where I used to work, on a story about how LeBron James' cold-hearted departure is going to effectively bankrupt Cleveland!) and the Food Network. And did I mention air conditioning?!?!

I've been using the same playlist the whole time :) Next run: week 3!

No comments: